Friday, July 1, 2011

Communication Strategies

There are several forms of communication. As educators we are required to communicate with our students and with parents. One way I will use communication strategies in the classroom is by providing my students with various choices with activities throughout the day.  Children love to have toys, puzzles, games, etc that they can relate to and are interested in. By providing students with a variety of activities, you are helping them to develop thinking and rational skills. Decision making is a skill that children need to learn early in life. It is a skill that they will utilize for their entire life. The ability to process information and make decisions is a necessary skill for preschoolers as well as adults. Another form of communication I will provide for my students is access of materials. The powerpoint presentation discussed denying the child access to materials by putting them out of reach or in the control of someone else. This will require the child to initiate a conversation with the other child or the teacher. I like the idea of having the child initiate the conversation even if it means providing the child with the words needed to properly communicate their thoughts. During free play, I will comment on what my students are doing in centers. For example, if I see a child is stacking blocks. I will describe what I see, "Wow, I see you have three blocks stacked on top of each other." Then I would wait for a response from the child. At times I would enter the center and build with the child, this is another way to initiate communication. The dramatic play center is one of the greatest centers in the classroom where communication/conversations take place. Students take on pretend roles and it's easy to join in, not to mention fun.

3 comments:

  1. I like how you mentioned "denying a child access to something" in order to initiate communication. I have done this with a child in my class frequently. There are specific toys he enjoys playing with, and I would put them on top of my cabinets, where he can see them but not reach them. He is still completely non-verbal, but has learned to take my hand and lead me to the item and point with his whole hand towards the item in order to get me to give him access to the desired toy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you talked about the importance of children being able to "process information and make decisions." Oftentimes special needs children are hindered in this area and need extra help in being able to perform these skills. Initiating communication and encouraging children to do the same, without fear of failure, can go a long way in helping them feel comfortable and participate in the process. Communication skills need to be varied and individualized to best help each child feel confident and able to take risks to experiment and explore his/her surroundings. Each child needs to be reached "where they are at," before you can help take them to where they need to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how you mentioned keeping materials out of reach so children have to initiate conversation with other children or with adults. This is very true, and I believe that it is a great way fir children to. Learn communication sills.

    ReplyDelete